Sunday, May 16, 2010

BEE Happy May Day Festival... is over


Sometimes you can be too close to things. Too involved. Too wrapped up in the details to enjoy the larger view.

When Bill and I got married almost eleven years ago, I remember someone telling me to make sure we stop, look and enjoy the moment. Take the time to remove yourself from the craziness, step back from the role of organizer, and experience the event as a participant. I recently had the opportunity to use this advice again.

A few Saturdays ago St. Benedict's Episcopal Day School's Parent Association hosted the BEE Happy May Day Festival. As a co-chair to this first-ever event, we had no roadmap, no planbook and no beginning operating budget. What we did have was three committed co-chairs who brought different skills to the table, a larger team of committee people with amazing talents and dedication, and a community of sponsors who embraced our dream with incredible contributions.

For two months we collaborated very effectively (thank you iPhone!) and very happily. I have never been involved in a project with co-owners that worked as well and as efficiently as this one did. We communicated non-stop, making decisions and moving forward confidently - Bill can probably grumpily attest to the early morning, late night and constant stream of emails!

While it was crazy, stressful and tiring, it was also one of the most rewarding projects I have ever managed. Thank you Anne and Bridget for a wonderful experience. I believe I'll be working with you again!

To recap the day in a few words, I'll simply say that the children of St. B's Day School and Preschool were the center of a joyful, active, loving and celebratory party held all in their honor. With huge smiles and loud laughter throughout the campus, the children showcased how safe and loved they feel at school by running in 1,000 directions at once - squealing, giggling, dancing and rejoicing. It was a fantastic sight to behold.

My biggest regret is that I was too busy having fun to take pictures! Hopefully we'll have some uploaded soon to our school albums from other people, and I'll share those if I can. What we did capture (thank you again iPhone!) from the day was the moment of pride where the Day School children performed "Lean on Me" under the direction of Music Teacher Chris Butler. The song selection was perfect for this young, vibrant, growing community. It captures the heart of St. B's!!

Last night Bill and I attended a Founding Families Parent Party designed to celebrate our school's first amazing year. The boys went to a Kids' Night Out at school enjoying pizza, a movie and lots of friends while Bill and I enjoyed drinks, dinner and lots of friends, too!! Their 10:00pm smiles matched ours!

At the party, Head of School Janet Rau unveiled a huge canvas piece that was created with bits from every child, under the talent and eye of Art Teacher Susan Edwards. Standing 5 or 6 feet tall, the piece is a gorgeous mosaic of a full, glorious Oak Tree. It will hang in the entrance hallway, welcoming the children to school each morning. Quite stunning. (I'll try to take a picture once it's installed.)

I am so thankful to have my children in a community that loves them, nurtures them and teaches them that character and academics go hand-in-hand.

I know the video is pretty crude, but you can see Brady directly in front of Mr. Butler. About 2/3 of the way through at 2:48, Brady sees Bill and me. Watch the smile explode!

Each time I watch this (which is actually quite often) I am renewed in my faith and commitement to this endeavor.

BEE Happy!

No comments: